Blog - Facebook Ask the Expert Event: Suicide Prevention
Save the Date
Facebook Ask the Expert Event: Suicide Prevention
Join suicide prevention experts!
Monday, September 10, 2012
12:00-2:00 pm EDT
Join the Live Chat: https://www.facebook.com/VetoViolence?ref=hl#!/events/278619925576273/
Suicide is a serious public health problem that can have lasting harmful effects on individuals, families, and communities. Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, accounting for nearly 37,000 deaths each year. Apart from deaths, there are an estimated 465,000 visits to emergency departments each year for self-harm injuries. In 2008, the most recent year of available data, more than 1 million people reported making a suicide attempt.
On World Suicide Prevention Day, CDC’s VetoViolence Facebook page will be hosting an Ask the Expert focused on suicide prevention!
- Deb Stone, ScD, who has more than 10 years of experience in suicide prevention; and
- Natalie Wilkins, PhD, whose areas of expertise include evidence-based decision making, evaluation, and suicide prevention.
From the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA):
- James Wright, MS, LCPC, who is a Public Health Advisor in the Suicide Prevention Branch, Center for Mental Health Services; and
- Jennifer Cappella, MPA, who is a Public Health Advisor in the Suicide Prevention Branch, Garrett Lee Smith State and Tribal and Campus Suicide Prevention Grant Programs.
We look forward to you joining us on Monday!
- Suicide Prevention
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)